Mt. Juliet, Tenn. – Mt. Juliet Police will be providing extra attention in shopping areas during the holiday shopping season as part of Operation Safe Shopper. Beginning Thanksgiving afternoon, Black Friday, and throughout the shopping season, more uniformed and undercover officers will be concentrated in and around Mt. Juliet’s Interstate 40 shopping destination. The initiative will run from Thursday, November 22 to Sunday, December 30, 2018.
Ultimately, the department wants residents and visitors to have a safe, enjoyable experience in and around Mt. Juliet’s shopping areas. The department will carry out:
- Increased patrols by uniformed officers
- Zero tolerance on shoplifting crimes, where offenders go straight to jail
- Mobile surveillance tower deployed in parking lots
- Undercover vehicles & officers blending in with the crowds
Operation Safe Shopper began in 2010, and Mt. Juliet’s shopping areas have not experienced any major theft or violent crime while the initiative was underway.
Shopper Safety Tips:
- Report any suspicious or out-of-place behavior to police, immediately.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- Park in well-lighted spaces, lock car doors, and place packages out of sight in the trunk or under seats.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card if possible.
- Carry purses close to the body, not dangling by the straps.
- Put wallets in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
- Supervise children and teach them to go to a police officer or security guard if they get lost or separated.
- Take a holiday inventory. The holidays are an excellent time to take photos or videos of items in your home
Parking Lot Safety Tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- If shopping at night, park in well-lit areas.
- Never leave your vehicle unlocked.
- When walking to your vehicle, look prepared by having your keys in your hand, your purse and other packages close to you, and always be aware of what is around you.
- Never leave holiday packages or other valuable items visible inside your vehicle.
- If possible, shop with other and walk in groups. It is safer to have another person with you.
- If you see suspicious people or activity, go back into the store or to a populated area and contact the police immediately.