The holiday shopping season begins this week, and so does Mt. Juliet’s retail safety initiative. As a result, more officers will be providing extra attention in shopping areas as part of Operation Safe Shopper. Starting on Thanksgiving afternoon, Black Friday, and throughout the shopping season, more uniformed and undercover officers will be concentrated around Mt. Juliet’s Interstate 40 shopping destination. The initiative will run until Friday, December 31, 2021.
Ultimately, the department wants residents and visitors to have a safe, enjoyable experience in and around Mt. Juliet’s shopping areas. The department will carry out:
- Increased patrols by uniformed officers
- Zero tolerance on shoplifting crimes
- Mobile surveillance tower deployed in parking lots
- Undercover vehicles & officers blending in with the crowds
- Guardian Shield watching over the community for stolen cars, stolen plates, and wanted persons
Officers will also monitor traffic flow and traffic signals to ensure traffic is moving as best as possible. If any issues are discovered, officers will communicate with city traffic engineers to determine a quick solution.
Shopper Safety Tips:
- Report any suspicious or out-of-place behavior to police, immediately.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- Park in well-lighted spaces, lock car doors, and place packages in the trunk or under seats out of sight.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card if possible.
- Carry purses close to the body, not dangling by the straps.
- Put wallets in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
- Supervise children and teach them to go to a police officer or security guard if they get lost or separated.
- Take a holiday inventory. The holidays are an excellent time to take photos or videos of items in your home
Parking Lot Safety Tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- If shopping at night, park in well-lit areas.
- Never leave your vehicle unlocked.
- When walking to your vehicle, look prepared by having your keys in your hand, your purse, and other packages close to you, and always be aware of what is around you.
- Never leave holiday packages or other valuable items visible inside your vehicle.
- If possible, shop with others and walk in groups. It is safer to have another person with you.
- If you see suspicious people or activity, go back into the store or to a populated area and contact the police immediately.